Monday, December 24, 2018

Time for something different. Half a year in pictures starting in summer: Mad Tea Party, Home, Tanabata

Since I have all these pictures and can't remember what I have or haven't posted this year. Yes, I am too lazy to go check but after fighting with my phone and computer and them not getting along and having to pic dump Amanda on messenger then save pics to my computer then separate them accordingly... Well, just enjoy.

First up is a Mad Tea Party moon rit we had at a friends house this Summer. It happened just a few days prior to receiving news that my Grandpa passed.  
Amanda getting a beautiful selfie!

Amanda and our friend Tomi. Tomi and I fan-girled over Otome Games while Amanda made her Cthulhu plushie wear my horns.

***
These are a few of pictures from my visit home when my Grandpa died. I decided I wanted to show a few pieces of my art to friends so I got a little of that too. But mostly, I just wanted to spend time with family. 

A raccoon black scratch board project I did in 8th grade. My parents still have it hanging in the Kitchen. 

One of my Great Great (possibly Great) Grandmothers Richardson. Her eyes follow you no matter where you are in the living room. Maybe she's who I get resting bitch face from, lol. Said with love, of course. But she is very severe looking.

A cup from the resturant my Grandma's cousin owned. 

My Dad adjusting one of Grandma's bird feeders in her back yard. I loved playing in that yard and have lots of really good memories. 

A picture I was trying to take of my cousin Shi-chan (who looks possessed), Amanda, and me. It looks like Amanda is holding my decapitated head though.

I think this is the last picture I got of Kali, my sister-dog. She wasn't doing so well, but she was a good and sweet girl. I miss her a lot. In the background is my Aunt Laura, my Mom's identical twin.

This is a mask I sculpted, fired, and glazed in my freshman pottery class. My teacher loved it and my parents do too. It is hanging in their downstairs bathroom

My parents living room with- oh look, my parents. Dad was talking to Amanda about something and I was sneaking a picture of my Mom and got her smiling. Really smiling. She kind of fake smiles for pictures because she hates them. 

Another mask I sculpted, glazed, and fired in my freshman pottery class. This one is more tribal feeling. Again, my parents really liked it and hung it in the bathroom. 

Finally got a picture of Shi-Chan, Amanda, and I where I have a body and Shi-chan doesn't look possessed.

My Mom's best friend, Pat, or Aunt Pat as I grew up calling her, lived in Indonesia for a little over a year. Her husband was working there for some company I forget. Anyway, she was deaf, and didn't have much to do but shop, so she bought and brought us a lot of really beautiful things from their travels and time there.

This is one of my favorite pieces she brought back. Above it is a project from a high school art class. Ignore it, its weird, but my Mom keeps it up there.
Got a picture of my Dad squinting from the flash.

There is the picture of my however many Greats Grandpa Richardson. You're going to see him again in a later post about something else.  


***

Tanabata. 
Tanabata is a Japanese Star Festival in July. It is the seventh day of the seventh month. the story is about two lovers (the stars Altair and Vega) who, after falling in love, are separated because they spent more time with each other than doing the work they were supposed to be doing. On the seventh day of the seventh month, they get to cross the river separating them (the milky way) to be together for one night and on that night they will grant wishes. I am totally not doing this beautiful story justice. You can learn more about it here
Amanda and I wanted to put on our own Tanabata festival for our friends. We'd done a tiny celebration a year prior and before that we'd celebrated with Cousin Kat. But this year, it was going to be a festival and Amanda really wants to try to work with some people around town to make it an event for the city! Not sure when that's going to happen but when it does, I will certainly share information.
Meet Trixie, our friend Malissa's therapy dog. She's super chill and adorable.

Friends sitting around a table in Rachel's backyard waiting for the celebration to begin.

Amanda, Jeremy, Malissa, and I think Rachel getting ready to head outside.

Tsuki and Tomi eating dinner before the festivities begin.

Our Wishing well. Amanda's Mom made it for us while we were visiting my family and attending my Grandpa's funeral. She did a lot for our little festival which helped me out since shortly after we came home, I had to have gall bladder surgery.

My favorite sushi ever! 

Cathy made sushi like cupcakes.

Our Tanabata alter.

Amanda, Jeremy, and Rachel's adorable dog Bladen.

Bladen looking for dropped goodies.

some of the activities we prepared. We had origami, coloring pages, and games.

I made Star cookies and tried out an edible spray mist to make the milky way. I suppose it looks okay. 


view of our altar and lanterns

Amanda made a beautiful program and check list for everyone and Rachel's neighbors turned their sprinkler on. Some of our stuff got soaked, but thankfully it was hot enough to dry things quickly.



2 comments:

  1. Replies
    1. A lot of it was and a lot of it was sad, but the fun stuff helped knock the sad stuff down a peg.

      Delete