Saturday, May 14, 2011

From flags to cameras to dancing in the street; there are just some things that shouldn’t be done.


Recently, as most people know, President Obama gave the order for the Navy Seals to eliminate Osama bin Laden. Okay, the man gave the order but he wasn’t out there putting his life on the line, nor did he pull the trigger, so really, I feel the Navy Seals should get all the credit.

Now that I’ve said my peace about that we can move on. I have heard that when American’s found out about Bin Laden’s death, there was dancing in the streets. First and foremost, I am not a fan of the Taliban or Osama bin Laden; in fact they pretty much disgust me beyond description. However, do we as Americans, want to display such low behavior as that of our enemies? Aren’t we better than that? I’m not saying its wrong for anyone to want to do that or that they don’t have the right, I just feel it’s a little vindictive and childish. Am I happy he’s dead? You bet, but I’m not going to run out in the street and dance about it. I say good riddance and go about my business.

Cameras, the joys of them are endless. You can take pictures of your friends, family, of strangers gulping down syrup at IHOP in the middle of the night, but camera’s in our school lunch rooms? Apparently in San Antonio, TX, they are wasting money that could be used to fund I don’t know say, music or the arts, science, or even school activities, on cameras in the lunch room. This is all so they can monitor exactly how many calories children are eating. Are you kidding me?! Apparently not, the cameras are said to be so precise they can identify a half eaten pear on a lunch tray. What I think these idiots who say this waste of money is a ‘good thing’ and ‘is to benefit our children’ need to realize is that, not everyone can afford to eat healthy, especially when you raise the prices on food. Some people have to get by on what they can afford and no camera monitoring what kids eat is going to change that. And what ever happened to privacy?

Lastly, a little bit on Flags. I own two, a small American flag and a small D.A.R (Daughter’s of the American Revolution) flag, and yes, I am a member of D.A.R. Being that I am a member of D.A.R, and even if I wasn’t, I strongly support the troops and Veterans. I’ve had friends who’ve fought in Afghanistan; family who have fought in other wars, so when I read an article about some jerk who burned the American flag and did $7,500 worth of damage to Louisiana State University’s historic war memorial, I got a little peeved. What I haven’t seen is the reason why this person decided to maim the memorial, not that I care much, it’s rude. Free speech or not, that was purely bad form.

As if that wasn’t enough, the vandal’s friend declared that he was going to hold a protest where he would burn the American flag because his friend was arrested. What?! Well, apparently he didn’t get to, thankfully there were enough patriots who went out and protested his protest. I saw one video where a soldier dressed in his BDUs went right up to the jerk and shouted at him “My brother died for you”! Good for that solider, I say. Too many people forget the sacrifices our troops make for us to keep us living as we do, to keep us safe. Vandalizing a memorial is a slap in the face to them, in my opinion, and burning the flag is a slap in the face to everyone who’s ever died to protect us and made this nation what it is to begin with.

No comments:

Post a Comment