Tuesday, April 17, 2012

On women, the economy, and gay marriage...


When I've been able to sit at the computer for any length of time I usually hop around Facebook. I like to catch up on the doings and events of friends and family and you got me, I play Sims and Castleville. Don't judge, sometimes a little mindless point and click game is more relaxing and distracting than you know. Anyway, I have several friends who just love to post things from "Americans Against the Tea Party", "Being Liberal", and "Americans Against Islamaphobia". I don't really mind these posts too much and pretty much ignore them for the most part. Except the one saying Jesus is Middle Eastern posted by Being Liberal-  No shit! You don't have to have paid attention in Sunday school to figure that out. 

Well, okay there have been some other posts posted by friends and family that I have read, else I wouldn't be at this point. That said, I do have one friend in particular who loves to spam with messages from these pages. She's often put up a warning stating that if people don't like it then they can unsubscribe from her page. That's all fine and dandy but once you unsubscribe, you don't get her actual status messages anymore either and since she is a friend that I do care about, I haven't unsubscribed. I just have the good sense to ignore a good majority of what she posts and keep my opinions to myself... Or at least I do now because to have an adverse opinion with this girl is kind of a crime. She's pretty much told me that if I don't agree with her and refuse to see it her way, to quietly message her privately. That was not one of her shining moments in being a good friend and frankly, since then its become abundantly clear that she can't handle anyone calling her on her bullshit or giving her any opposite opinion. Frankly, she's a fanatic, a zealot even when it comes to almost everything. A few of us just let her say whatever it is she wants to say whether or not we agree or actually know better. Call that being a bad friend all you want, but you try arguing with a chihuahua who has lock jaw, you'll give up too. 

So, in knowing several of these happy spammers, I see a lot of things I don't agree with and tons of propaganda that shits on Republicans and anyone else not 'of their ilk' and all of them glorifying President Obama. I also see a lot of posts advocating 'good causes' or spreading 'awareness'. Some more recently and most definitely covering a couple of topics in the news is the subject of women and their rights and so on. 
Yes, I am a woman. Yes, I do believe in equal rights for all. But all these new problems we are having, the abortion issue (which has been around for decades), birth control, paying women equally in the work force, and now 'Your opinion doesn't count because you're a stay at home Mother/house wife' is all a ploy. 

Now, before people get their panties in a wad, I'm not saying these issues aren't out there, that they aren't fair or right or moral and all that jazz. What I am saying is, I believe that the government and people in politics and  power are making outlandish laws and proposals to distract the American people from the major issues like gay marriage and the economy. If they can 'save' us poor defenseless women from the evil workings of the Republicans and religious power mongers, then they will be our saviors and we'll vote for them, never mind that a good deal of them probably don't give a rats ass about anyone but themselves. And in distracting us, we will not pester them so hard about gas prices, the economy, and whether or not they are going to sell us out or destroy our nation by converting it to communism, the things we really need to be calling them out on. 

My response to the ones in power, "You're trying too hard, you might want to start rethinking that strategy".   

1 comment:

  1. Wow. You really have been paying attention. My only comment would be that for most of the Progressives, gay marriage isn't a core belief, it's just useful to get the Social Conservatives to shit kittens and do and say stupid stuff.

    ReplyDelete