Saturday, June 30, 2012

Finally, relaxed in the music

Despite the nasty Blue Cheese Hamburger I had for lunch (I was supposed to have something a different one my the burgers somehow got mixed up by the GF's Dad after he took them from the oven), I am decently relaxed and this is the first time since before my uncle died 3 weeks ago. Even though my back is really hurting today, I'm actually able to just sit and focus and I even have stuff I still have yet to do. I am pretty sure it has something to do with the fact that I was able to sit and really listen to a little music today and it was something that didn't make me cringe.  

Oomph! is playing on Pandora. Actually I created an Oomph! station on Pandora along with many other stations and thankfully this one hasn't disappointed. I've just about thrown the towel in with local and mainstream radio because they just don't have what I want/ need and a lot of what is on the air sounds the same in one fashion or another. Admit it, you've thought the same.

A few years ago I stumbled upon a station called R1 Das Darkwave and it aired on Winamp radio. It had Gothic rock, Industrial, Darkwave, Metal, and a few other generes that all seemed to make this perfect mix of ear-orgasm-inducing happiness for me. (I didn't like/love everything but most of it I did.) They were only on the air for ten years I was fortunate to catch the last three. I actually cried when I learned they had ended. R1 listed some similar stations but you know when you get something so perfect the substitutes just don't quite compare? I tried those other stations but it just wasn't the same.

I had been listening to, and still do, to Radio Rivendell which plays fantasy soundtracks. It's good music to write to. I also have a traditional Chinese music station on Winamp. So at least I still had that but for a year or so I just didn't really have a radio station to call home and wouldn't you know it, some of the songs I had written down as loving I couldn't find on Youtube. Go figure.

Now, Pandora isn't the same as my beloved R1 Das Darkwave, but it is close enough. I actually have a couple of stations built to try and fill the painful hole R1 left behind. And Pandora throws in some strange stuff on me which has led to other interesting station builds.

Here's a link if anyone is interested in learning more about Oomph! They really are a good band. A lot of their stuff is close enough to some of mainstream rock and yet different enough that people who aren't into mainstream will like them too.
Oomph! Info

Oomph! Website


No comments:

Post a Comment