Friday, September 3, 2010

A small look into the world of Market Research from the interviewer/research agent’s POV pt2

PT 2 Market research:


Now the respondents aside, I have experienced several draw backs since becoming a market research agent/interviewer. I am sure this isn't the case with every company but then again it is a corporate business out to make money and that makes them no different from the rest of them.


Day shift for instance is mostly sales. There is a definite difference between the kind of people who do sales and those who just do market research for the company. To put it bluntly, day shift is full of arrogant assholes. One day shifter even remarked how the night shifted needed to watch themselves because day shift were the ones who brought in all the money. This was in response the night shift coming in early on request because we needed extra hours due to more jobs than we had people for, this needing extra call time. Rude right? Anyone do anything about it, nope. Because no one cares.


After being with my company for six months I have noticed other things. There is a profound amount of favoritism between supervisors and employees. They try to hide it and play pretend but really, it's so blatantly obvious. It is really sad when the people who go to work and actually do their job get the shit end of the stick and see people who jerk around get all the perks because a supervisor favors them.


There is a policy on the floor where no one can be friends with a supervisor because it brings forth favoritism, They might as well get rid of that rule since it happens anyway.


On top of that there is absolutely no job security in my company no matter how good you are and how much you follow the rules. Every day I wonder if I am going be fired. they fire people over the most nonsensical things, especially when they are on a firing spree. My particular fear stems from having health issues beyond my control that kept me from working and despite having er statements and doctor's notes clearing me for the days I truly couldn't work, they tell me if I miss another day, I am out of a job.


But the absolutely maddening thing about this company is that they come around asking for extra hours. I've gladly done some. Well, not anymore. The reason is that they never seem to be able to pay me for the extra hours I put in especially if I have to come in during day shift. I have disputed this many times and they either only pay me for half my the time or make of some reason not to. they have also started doing this on my regular paychecks. Needless to say I have started a log on my own and have been keeping track of my own hours to throw at them next time it happens.


As for the surveys, quite a few of them are, in my opinion pretty worthless. PG&E Surveys are utter BS. Gasoline surveys are even worse. I really don't see how those are bettering the products and services available to people. But there are a ton of them that are genuine and frankly if you don't take the surveys and express your opinions about things then I don't feel that you have the right to complain about things later when the company or organization or whatever gives an opportunity for people to get their opinions out there.


So, the next time you decide surveys aren't worth your time, consider the people who have to give them and what they have to deal with on a daily basis.

No comments:

Post a Comment