Monday, May 23, 2016

An eventful morning, one pair of glasses, and story critiques.

Fate/Stay Night: Unlimited Blade works characters Archer and Rin tohsaka

Okay, I found another anime that I am in LOVE with and it is called Fate/Stay Night: Unlimited Blade Works. I've had it in my Netflix queue for awhile and just decided last week that I was going to watch it. It is wonderful! It's also a little dark and heavy, which I love. I really want to see the other Fate/Stay anime and see if I can't find books and what not. 

Moving on, one pair of my glasses, the black frame cat-eye ones that I really love, aren't really working out. I think maybe the prescription is a little off and that they are a tad too tight. So, I may have to send them back to get readjusted. *sigh*

This morning has been eventful. I woke up really cold, got up to go to the bathroom, and had just settled back in bed when my phone rang. Poor Amanda was sick at work and needed to be picked up. Since the jeep is still not fixed and she took the car to the park and ride this morning, I had to call a friend to take me to get the car. From there, I got Amanda, of course. There's been some roadwork the way I normally take to get home, so I automatically went the way I've had to take to get home, only some asshat was riding my ass far too close and distracted me just enough that I turned up Stevens instead of where I usually do. So finding my way to the highway again was a short adventure. Of course, not before some other asshat decided his shiny SUV deserved to take up the whole road and nearly run me off of it. Bastard.  Then, I passed my bank where I needed to make a deposit, had to turn around and go back. That was obnoxious, but at least the drivers were better.

So now we are home, Amanda is asleep on the sofa next to me, snoring terribly. She'd been kicking me in her sleep a lot lately, so I told her if she does today, she will be sent back to bed. I have some chicken and broth slowing cooking in the crock pot to make soup later.  

I discovered that the author I wrote about in my previous post did not leave the book off in a cliff hanger, instead it was a teaser from the previous book. Leave it to me to get confused, then again why would a publisher put a teaser from the book prior in the series at the end of the series?

Okay on to the story critiques for my short story in my writing class. I like feed back as long as it is constructive. However, one of my fellow students seemed to get a little snippy in her critique of my story concerning page length. Uh huh. I don't think that special permission needed to be granted and if the instructor had had an issue with my page length, she would have said something in her critique. If anything, the instructor wants me to add a few more scenes. There were a couple of other things that she and another student commented on, like the glazed over death of a character I had to do to focus on the death of another. *sigh* Yes, I know, I am not happy about it either but I can't put everything everyone wants within 20 pages, not for it to make sense and flow smoothly anyway. Which is why I am going to tear the story apart and make it into something longer after the class is over. I just want to say, quit bitching.

Now for one of my critiques. I have been following another classmate's story since the beginning of the class. Last night I remembered why her story frustrated the crap out of me. Her writing. I sat reading with my hand over my face through most of the story and there were a couple of parts that I actually laughed because no, just no, no, no, no, no, that's not how that works! Her story idea is really good and she did fix some stuff from the previous draft, so I know that she is paying attention to critiques. I also know that in the beginning I wrote like she writes, which gives me an indication that she might be just starting out with writing, but this is the last creative writing class before graduation. You can't take this one unless you have taken all the others. What was her writing like before? Has she improved along the way or not? I'm not trying to be mean, I just want her to be successful and at the moment, unless she self publishes, she's going to have a lot of work ahead of her to get where she wants to be. I would really like to see this story published someday. I think she could make a whole novel out of it, if not a series. There's enough foreshadowing to allude that there is a great deal more. 

2 comments:

  1. Hi Hannah, Iv'e been meaning to comment but my internet service is acting up. Seems like quite another few days for the record books. Glad you got your assignment finished and out there to be read.I hope Amanda gets well soon. Thanks for letting me know about the martini glass on the train, I shall be on the lookout :) The photography on my blog is indeed mine, I got a camera for Christmas that I can't put down. I shot my pictures from a Canon PowerShot SX520 HS which has a 42x optical zoom with a 24mm wide angle lens. It's a point and shot camera with the power of binoculars. I hope the rest of your week goes well.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Holly! Your pictures are amazing!
      Yeah, my camera lens isn't that nice, lol. I am have been looking at getting another one so I can take pictures of the moon, which I can't do very well with my camera. I love the photos you got of the moon and Mars.

      Delete